Take a Chance

Join our French Immersion blog! The focus is to bring our classroom into your home!

WEEK 6 – May 18-22, 2020

Chansons a ecouter:

C’est le printemps:

Dans mon jardin:  

Savez-vous planter les choux :

Sème, sème dans le jardin:

Quel temps fait-il aujourd’hui? 

La chanson des légumes: 

Here are French books that you can listen to on YouTube:

Jack et le haricot Magique

Je mangerais bien un enfant

Défi littératie : Trouve les mots du printemps dans la grille de mots mêlés. Pour un défi encore plus amusant, tu peux créer ta propre grille de mots mêlés et demande a un membre de ta famille de trouver les mots qui sont caché!  

Reading – (Students are encouraged to read in both French and English throughout the week). Talk about books that you read (or movies that you watch) by discussing some of the following questions: 

Avant la lecture: 

• Quel est le titre de ce livre? 
  • Qui est l’auteur de ce livre? 
  • Qui est l’illustrateur? 
  • Est-ce un text informatif ou fictif? 

Pendant la lecture: 

•  se déroule l’histoire? 
  • Quel est le problème de l’histoire? 

Après la lecture: 

• Quelle question poserais-tu à l’auteur? 
  • Aimerais-tu lire un autre livre par cet auteur? 

Try to make as many connections as you can with books that you are currently reading and books that you have read in the past.  

For exampleMme. Savoie’s favourite book is Harry Potter and the prisonner of Azkaban and the connection I can make with that book is that Harry and I both go to school. We both have 2 best friends. Harry and I both wear glasses. We are both very adventurous.  

See what you will come up with, even if it sounds a little bizarre!  

Here are a few other types of connections you can make with a book.  

• Connection with your own life 
  • Connection with another book that you have read.  
  • Connection with a movie that you have seen.  

If you do not have French books at home, there are websites that you can access French books. Explore these and read (or listen to) French books that are a “good fit” for you (not too hard, not too easy). https://boukili.ca/fr 

Writing – Here are a few writing ideas for this week. 

You can choose one to work on throughout the week or a different one each day. If you want to go back to last week’s ideas, please do so. Don’t forget to make sure that you use capital letters and punctuation where they belong. Think about who will enjoy (or learn from) reading your writing after you are finished. 

• Pense a ton repas favorit. Comment écrirais-tu cette recette pour expliquer à un ami comment faire le repas à sa maison.  
  • Créer une recette avec des ingrédients que tu peux trouver dans ton jardin. (A recipe card can be found below to help guide your writing). 
  •  Créer une liste d’ingrédients et d’outils nécessaire pour faire ta recette. Place les ingrédients en ordre alphabétique. 
  •  Invente une histoire à propos d’une fourmi qui vit dans ton jardin. 
  •  Créer un nouveau mot croisé en utilisant les mots des aliments que tu as dans ton jardin. 
  •  Répond aux questions de la lecture (en haut) écrit ta réponse en français. 
  • Dans ton jardin, que vois-tu?  
  • Que penses-tu qu’il se passe dans ton jardin? 
    Cooking: this week your challenge is to get in the kitchen and do some cooking.  Here are a couple of recipes that you can chose from. Or you could look up a recipe online or in a recipe book at home. Don’t forget to take a picture of what you make and send it to us.  

This recipe comes from the Ricardo Cuisine website: 
    https://www.ricardocuisine.com/recettes/5765-pancakes-dodues There is even a demonstration video if you follow this link.

This next recipe comes from the website Gimme Some Oven:  
https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/strawberry-banana-smoothie-recipe/ 

Some questions to consider when cooking: 

-What would you do if you wanted to make your recipe for the whole class?
-What if you wanted to make the recipe just for you? 

-How do you use math in the kitchen when you are cooking? 

-What makes a recipe easy to follow?  

-What do you do to stay safe in the kitchen? 

-What are some different ways that you measure when cooking?

Garbage Can Game 

Materials needed: number cube (dice), paper, pencil 
Play with a partner or small group. 

Roll a number cube 5 times for a 4 digit number (7 times for a six digit number). Use the numbers rolled as digits to create the largest 4 (or 6) digit number possible. You may throw one digit in the garbage can each round. Players may not move a digit once it is written down. 

When the numbers have all been created, each player takes a turn reading their number aloud to the group. The other players listen carefully to see if they read their number correctly. If they read their number correctly, they receive one point. The player with the greatest number also receives one point.  

The player with the most points at the end of 5 rounds is the winner.

Science:  

This week in Science you will be doing two different research projects to get your vegetable garden design completed! 

1. When planting a vegetable garden, there are some veggies that don’t do so well when planted next to others and some that are compatible with each other.  You are to research which vegetables are compatible.   
  1. Before you start your second research, write down the names of all the insects and wildlife that live around you that could damage your garden.  Fortunately for us, there are vegetables, flowers or herbs you can plant to keep those critters away so you can reap an abundant crop in the fall.  

You are to research which flower, herb or plant that would be beneficial to have in your vegetable garden. 

Art: 

FES has another great Maker Challenge starting this week! You are to make a fox using materials you have inside and/or outside your home.  Take a picture of it and send it to me.  A collage will be created and posted on the FES website and Home & School Facebook page. Please send me your pictures or post them on the FES Home & School page before May 25th.    

Voici une recette pour faire de la pâte à modeler: 

1 tasse de fécule de maïs 

½ d’une tasse de lotion à mains  

Colorant alimentaire (optionel) 

Here is a recipe to make cloud dough: 

1 cup of corn starch 

Half a cup of hand or body lotion or hair conditioner 

Food coloring (optional) 

Here’s a video link to a moon dough demonstration: 

English Reading:  

Keep reading as much as you can! I hope some of you are trying SORA- I know there are lots of great books on there. Try to read at least 30 minutes each day. I know many of you love to read, so keep it up!  

For SORA, you can use the website version or download the free app on your tablet or phone. You will need your school username and password to access the books.  (*school name is New Brunswick Department of Education and Early Childhood- not Florenceville Elementary). Send me an email if you need help! 

If you didn’t get a chance last week to listen to this story on youtubeyou can do it this week. It is called, If I Built a School, by Chris van Dusen. Here is the link:

Writing: 

The book, If I Built a School, suggests lots of ways to make school different. Some of the ideas are very far-fetched or set in the future, but they give you lots of think about. You have now been learning at home for several weeks. I know there are many things you are missing about coming to FES every day to learn. I am guessing there are also parts that you also like about learning at home. So, think about this… 

If you built a school, what would it look like? Think about: 

• Classrooms 
  • Playgrounds 
  • Recess/lunchtime 
  • Phys. Ed/Music/Art/Library 

What would your perfect school look like? You could explain it, draw about it (make sure you label it) or even write a fiction piece that takes place in your “ideal school”.  I would LOVE to hear your ideas! 

If you can, send me or Mrs. Mahar (sarah.mahar@nbed.nb.ca) an email or picture of your ideas at. We can’t wait to hear your ideas. 

Physical Activity: 

Make sure to check out the Physical Activities that Ms. Nugent has posted on the school website. https://secure1.nbed.nb.ca/sites/ASD-W/fes/Teachers/pages/category.aspx?CategoryId=14&Name=Physical+Education+Activities 

See the alphabet movement sheet below for your activity challenge this week.  Try to do these 3 different times during the week.  Play the moves that match the letters of your full name.  To challenge yourself more, play the moves that match the letters of all your family members names. 

Copy taken from Elisa Groppi’s Facebook page 

Skip to toolbar